Friday, April 19, 2019

Story Week 13: The Turtle Who Talked Too Much

Turtles (image source from Wikipedia)

There was once a Turtle that lived up on the foot of a hill. There was two wild geese looking for food up around the hill and they found a turtle. This Turtle was a friendly and very talkative animal. The next day, the Geese visited the turtle again and soon became great friends.

One day, the Geese told the turtle they had a beautiful home far away and they were leaving tomorrow. They asked the turtle if he wanted to come along with them, to their home. The turtle explained, "How would I even get there? I can't even fly!"

The Geese responded back saying, "Oh, we will take you but you cannot talk this whole journey."
The turtle thought about it and agreed that he would go with them and not talk the whole way.

So the following day, the Geese came back with a stick and said, "You have to bite down the stick in the middle and do not say one word until we are home."

The Geese and the turtle were up flying and they saw so many different beautiful sceneries from the sky. Twenty minutes had passed by, they came by a village. There were kids playing around and spotted the Geese and Turtle. The kids laughed at the turtle because it was flying. They got a closer look and saw the Turtle gripping on a stick! They started laughing a little harder because the Turtle was not really flying, but biting down on a stick.

The turtle looked down and said "At least my friends can carry me to fly with them! What is your problem?"

Then turtle fell off the stick. R.I.P.

Author's Note: I rewrote the story, The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking. I did not change anything from the original story but wrote it in my own words. This Turtle should would not stop talking or be so defensive that he died. It was immature of him to want to fight back and care what the kids thought of him, and he suffered the consequences.

Ellen C. Babbitt, The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking, Link

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy, I enjoyed reading through your short story, The Turtle Who Talked Too Much. I like how short and simple you were able to keep the story. There is definitely some irony in there because the turtle's talkative ways eventually led him to his death. I feel bad for the turtle though. Some people just like to talk and there is nothing wrong with that. This world has listeners and talkers. The turtle is definitely a talker. Anyway I enjoyed reading through your short story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Tracy! The original Jataka Tale was one of the first ones I had read for this class, so I'm always excited to read a story based off of it. Most people choose to rewrite the story with a new ending or new premise, but I'm glad you didn't. Instead, you took the original tale and rewrote it with new eyes, while keeping much the same. Overall, good story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracy!
    I really liked reading through your short story. I think it was written very well. I especially liked the twist at the end because I didn't expect it to happen. It was sad that the turtle died but the way you phrased it made me laugh about it. I like how you built the character of the turtle as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again, Tracy! I think that I’ve read this story before for the class. Furthermore, I like that you chose to write this particular story. I was excited to see what you had change, but that’s okay. The turtle in the story should have learned a valuable lesson , and had kept his mouth shut. Moreover, I thought your story was well-written and flowed together.

    ReplyDelete

Growth Mindset: Beyond School

Cute Pomeranian to Brighten Smiles (image source from Wikipedia ) I wanted to make my final post about growth mindset beyond school. I ...